This recipe is a vegan version of classic basil pesto i.e. without the parmesan! If you still like your pesto to have a cheesy flavour, add some nutritional yeast, which is also a source of vitamin B12, a complete protein and has loads of other health benefits. I also add some golden flax flakes, another superfood which is tasteless but a good source of omega 3. Finally, I like to add some avocado to make it a bit creamy.
This is a super easy, healthy go-to vegan meal that only takes 10 minutes to prepare!
- ¼ - ½ Avocado
- 2 handfuls of basil leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Handful of pine nuts (or use cashews or almonds instead)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1-2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon golden flax flakes /ground flaxseed
- Roast the pine nuts at 160 degrees celsius for 5-10 minutes, until golden brown. Keep an eye on them as they burn quickly!
- Add the pine nuts, along with all other ingredients to a blender.
- Blend until smooth. Add more olive oil until it is at your desired consistency.
- Serve with pasta, on bread, or any other way you would like!
- I had mine on pasta, served with sautéed mushroom, onion and broccoli and fresh basil and tomatoes. Yum!